Balancing the scales of justice
- Continue Jeff Adachi’s legacy of ensuring our clients get fair trials and vigorous advocacy.
- End cash bail, restoring the presumption of innocence and moving away from distorted outcomes that are hardships on clients’ families.
- Provide top notch advocacy by thoroughly preparing cases for trial and skillfully locating expert opinions that fit into the theme of the case.
- Secure funding for support staff and provide early, collaborative investigation consults and case planning efforts for new cases.
- Jury trials are a cornerstone of democracy. Let’s do what we can to ensure that jury selection reflects the community of the accused.
- Keep prosecutors accountable, disincentivize overcharging and late discovery.
- Keep police accountable through effective collection and documentation of police misconduct.
- Establish an Integrity Unit, investigating convictions to make sure the sentence was fair.
- Work with the Immigration Unit to guarantee right to counsel to clients at risk of deportation.
- Support client rehabilitation efforts through ‘alternative courts’ to facilitate successful completion.
- Open source our public defense work to train other offices on more effective advocacy techniques and structures, supporting statewide and national movements for criminal justice reform
Real community engagement
- Support San Francisco families trying to escape the criminal legal system
- Engage transitional age youth with civic engagement cohorts to develop positive peer communities.
- Hire boots-on-the-ground social workers to activate communities and support clients with
- Mental health treatment
- Drug rehabilitation
- Enrollment in Free City College
- Tech internships
- Courtwatch: Demystify the criminal legal system by developing structures for community members to observe courtroom processes.
” I have watched Mano spend countless hours in the Sunnydale housing projects getting to know his client’s family… Mano taught me the value of learning who your clients are and what makes them tick, because our clients are more than the sum of what they have been charged with.”Lateef Gray, John Burris Law Firm
Learn more about Mano’s background: Meet Mano
Still have questions about Mano? Check out Frequently Asked Questions.